Vila de Dalt (Upper Village)
The municipality of Banyalbufar is known for preserving a paradigmatic landscape. The town, located in the centre of this magnificent setting, preserves numerous vestiges of its long past that are well worth discovering with an open mind and a leisurely pace. The Vila de Dalt (Upper Village), in addition to the parish church, holds some of the oldest and most representative buildings, as well as an anthropic context that is exemplary when it comes to explaining the pattern of settlement and exploitation on this side of the Sierra.
Parish church of the Nativity of Mary
The church of Banyalbufar used to be located in another place, as documented in medieval archives. Since the terrible corsair raid of 1545, its location changed to the present one. In 1691 a new one was built and in the 18th century it was renovated. Inside, a series of altarpieces stand out: the main altarpiece, from 1787, is in the Classicist style and represents the birth of the Virgin Mary; the altarpiece of Santa Maria, in the Baroque style, which contains the Gothic image of Santa Maria de Banyalbufar; and finally the altarpiece of the Immaculate Conception, formerly of Saint Peter, the work of Gaspar Oms, made in 1584. On the other hand, the organ comes from the convent of Santo Domingo in Palma.
Cas Batle Negre
The houses of Cas Batle Negre (the black mayor) are one of the most popular in the town. They have a façade with three elevations, with a round arched doorway with voussoirs. The interior conserves a lowered vault. The name comes from one of the owners of the building, with very dark skin, who became mayor.
The houses of Son Borguny have a fairly ancient origin. They belonged to a Banyalbufarí lineage that has now disappeared, the Borguny family, who later joined the Vives family to become known and signed as Vives-Borguny The building has a three-storey elevation, with a round doorway. On the same pavement, there are two press racks, one of which was a wine press. The interior of the ground floor has an interesting groin vault.
Leaving the town centre are the houses of Son Vives, bordered by a gate that leads to a beautiful pergola. In the 17th century it was a shed in the hands of the honourable Pere Vives, a lineage that lasted until the middle of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 20th century it belonged to Ferrà Alcover and is currently owned by the Darder family.
Safareig de So n’Albertí
Underneath the houses of the So n’Albertí estate – in the hands of Mateu Albertí in the 18th century – there is one of the largest washing places in the municipality, made up of two tanks. It receives water from the Vila fountain.
The Regants’ path
The Camí des Regants follows the irrigation channel of Baix, which has been restored for some years now. The path, which is quite narrow, is limited by a railing and connects with the Penyal neighbourhood. From here you can enjoy magnificent views of the town and the coastal area.
This is a settlement that began to be built in the 17th century, with access from the village along a cobblestone path. There is a popular tradition that states that this is the origin of the village, although the documentation denies it. The houses are of a traditional type, following a layout very similar to those of the marjales, and open onto narrow, cobbled alleys. There is only one street that serves as a small square, with a viewing point between two houses.
Vila de Baix (Lower Village)
The lower part of Banyalbufar preserves spaces and corners that are well worth discovering. From the emblematic building of Sa Baronia – the centre of feudal life at one time – to the mills of La Cala – two hydraulic mills with an Islamic base that resist the onslaught of the sea – there is a space where heritage, history and landscape blend perfectly. A walk that will also allow you to discover the contrasting beauty that Banyalbufar offers, based on the profound dialogue that the sea keeps with the mountain, the gigantic Mola de Planícia.
Sa Baronía is the oldest and most emblematic civil building in Banyalbufar. It was the axis of the feudal life of the village, a fact that explains why its structure still shows all its power. Its relevance in the development of the town throughout history has been capital, to the extent that a large part of the population was directly or indirectly linked to its exploitation until a few decades ago. The history of these houses and lands is as long and extensive as the history of Mallorca itself, always in the hands of the highest knightly and noble families: Ramon de sa Clusa (13th century), Arnau de sa Clusa (13th century), Arnau de sa Clusa (13th century), Arnau de sa Clusa (13th century) and Arnau de sa Clusa (13th century). XIII century), Arnau de Torrelles, Pere Sa Vila and Ombert de Fonollar (XIV century), the Lloscos (XV-XVII century), the Burgues Zafortesa (XVII century), the Sales-Sureda and the Berga-Zafortesa (XVII-XVIII century), and finally the Cotoner (XVIII-XX century). Today, the building is divided into three parts: the vicarage, the tower and the hotel.
One of the most historically interesting houses in the village is Cas Cosí (the cousin’s house). It has three floors, with a magnificent round doorway and a spindle-shaped doorway. Above the keystone is a tombstone with the anagram of Christ (IHS) and the date 1661. This house was in the hands of the Albertí family in the 19th century. A member of this lineage was Joan Albertí, mayor of the village.
Can Font was used as a small shop, oven and bar until a couple of years ago. The houses, in the traditional style, open out onto a road. On the façade on the left you can still see the remains of a curious sgraffito. The interior still preserves several sections of the vault.
This is a mine spring located in the heart of the village. It has two galleries inside a hut that houses the public washing places. It dates from 1882 and has undergone several modifications. In addition to the washing basins, the chapel-shaped arch stands out from the rest of the complex. Permission must be requested to enter.
Era des Fossar
There is a place called l’Era des Fossar on the right-hand side of the path to the cove. It seems that this is where the first church in the village was originally located until it was devastated by a bloody corsair raid in the 16th century. The toponym also reminds us of the existence of the first cemetery, which was always located next to the church.
Molins de sa Cala
Two of the most important remains of Banyalbufar’s Islamic past are the water mills located above the cove. This location is explained by the need to avoid taking up arable land and also to make the most of the water flowing from the springs above. They have been documented since 1240.
Ca ses Monges
In 1885, the vicar of Banyalbufar, Albert Cirer, established a small community of Augustinian Sisters. They dedicated themselves to teaching boys and girls. They stayed there for 73 years, until 1958, when it was definitively closed and the building was sold to a private individual.
From Banyalbufar to Esporles
The old road des Correu
The road that has connected Banyalbufar with Esporles since medieval times is the Camí des Correu. The route, not only is fairly easy, but also offers numerous attractions: excellent natural panoramic views, a large number of ethnological elements, as well as the layout of the road itself, which is equipped with all the elements of traditional road engineering, making it one of the most attractive routes in the entire Serra de Tramuntana. The Camí des Correu is therefore a route through the history of Banyalbufar.
Surrounding the town centre of Banyalbufar you will find the first estates: one of them is Son Albertí, located on top of the Font de la Vila path. The name was given by the family that owned it in the 17th century. In the 19th century it passed to the Cotoners, lords of the Barony. In the last century it belonged to the Ribot family. Along the road, we can see that the houses are a rather rustic architectural ensemble, with the main façade facing east. In the past, they had an important wine cellar.
Font de la Vila (Fountain of the Village)
This is the most important fountain in Banyalbufar, as it provides the most important flow of water both in the village and to the entire walled complex that surrounds it. Dating back to Islamic times, it was the source upon which the first community of Bany-al-bahar settled (Banyalbufar’s first community). This spring has an irrigation channel and a large number of pipes and conduits that take the water to the pools of each of the estates.
The Correu road (The Post Road)
This is the historic road that connects Banyalbufar with Esporles. It is a medieval road, documented at the time as the Carraria de Banalbahar (Banalbahar road). It served to connect both villages, which formed a single community until 1836. The construction has some very valuable elements: cobblestone sections, a supporting wall, guttering and “little stripes” that are rows of rectangular stones located at an angle and a few centimetres above the level of the road. They have a hydraulic function, as they are used to stop and slow down water flows and evacuate water.
Coll es Pi
This pass (475 m) separates the slopes of Son Sanutges and Son Valentí. Up here, besides the preservation of a magnificent cobblestone road, you will find a pond next to the path and the well of sa Plata, a former abandoned quarry on the slope of the Puig de s’Argenter. Documents state that until the 19th century this entire area was used for agriculture.
Potada des Cavall
One of the most emblematic legends of Banyalbufar is located in the pass known as Sa Potada des Cavall (the horse’s footprint), a stone with a deep mark that was the basis of a legend related to King Jaume I and his horse. It is said that on one of his fantastic jumps between Catalonia and Mallorca the monarch’s horse left a mark on the rock with one of its kicks.
This shed has been a historical reference point for Son Valentí and Son Balaguer. Toponymically, it seems to derive from muscu / muscaria (“place with moss”), although it could also come from Mata Mosquera, a Mediterranean perennial shrub very sticky on the underside that acts as a natural repellent. The houses are built on two slopes, with a single storey and a terrace. An old tafona( an oil mill) with a mechanical press is also found here.
The Sa Granja estate (the Farmhouse) is one of the most important in the Tramuntana mountain range, mainly because of the abundance of water from the Font Major spring, the Baroque architecture and the large gardens. It was originally an Islamic farmstead called Alpic. In medieval times, it was owned by the Joan family, who also owned Planicia and es Rafal. The last great lineage owners were the Fortuny family.
Pont de sa Turbina (Turbine bridge)
It crosses the Sant Pere stream, next to the sa Turbina mill. This mill was installed on top of a medieval mill, called the Molí de la Cruz (Cross Mill). At the end of the 19th century, the Sporlerí businessman Joan Riutort y Palmer transformed it and installed a turbine inside that could move 110 looms.
The old fishermen's route
From the Port of Canonge to Esporles
This is the traditional route used by fishermen to connect Port Des Canonge with Esporles, then to the capital or the interior of Mallorca. After a fishing day, they would follow this route carrying all the fish they had caught to sell it. This route, rescued just a few decades ago, not only gives us an insight into ancestral difficult situations, but also reveals a cultural and natural setting of outstanding value.
Port des Canonge
Banyalbufar’s second most important village is the Port des Canonge. According to several archaeological remains, this space has been used as a port since Ancient times. Three centuries after the conquest, it appears documented as the Port of Canonge and it became a small fishermen’s settlement. Along the seashore there is an interesting series of dry docks or “alcoves”.
Son Bunyola and Son Coll are the two oldest possessions in the valley of the Port des Canonge, historically known as the Vall de Bunyola( Bunyola Valley). Medieval documentation confirms that Son Coll was initially known as the Alqueria Roja ( Red Farmstead). Throughout a significant part of its history, it was owned by the Coll family – the lineage that gave it its name – and later by the Miró family. At the end of the 19th century it became the property of the Palou family and had an extension of 96 hectares, which passed to the Ramis d’Ayreflor family. In the summer of 2020, the houses were badly affected by the cap de fibló (a sudden sea swirl ). Originally, there was an olive-oil mill and a small oratory.
This is the traditional bridle path used by fishermen to carry their fish up to Esporles and then to the capital or to the interior of the island. The preserved sections reveal that it was a cobblestone path, with supporting margins at some points and also rattles. Before reaching the Port of Canonge road, the upper part of the path runs through a holm oak grove of very high natural and cultural value.
Mirant de Mar
There is a small viewpoint at the end of the Mirant de Mar parcelling, with a stone bench. Although the vegetation does not allow us to fully appreciate the views, we can still enjoy the landscape of Son Bunyola and the Puig de ses Planes.
This is one of the most outstanding Sporlerine possessions, documented in medieval times. In 1563 it belonged to Mr. Nicolau Dameto and was dedicated to olive groves, vineyards, cereal crops and legumes. There was an orchard planted with apple trees and vegetables. By 1677, it was worth 43,000 pounds. In 1654, the land was subject to partial leases: the part known as ses Planes de Son Dameto was leased for an annual rent of 230 pounds; the part known as ses Costes de Son Dameto, for 220 pounds, plus 50 quintals of carobs and 2 coves of apples. In 1863 it had 288 hectares and belonged to Francesc Rossinyol de Sagranada.
Sa Potada des Gegant
Next to the magnificent Son Dameto bridge, there is a rock in the shape of a sinkhole, a sort of colossal cocò ( a cove). Folklore suggests that this hole was not made by the action of centuries of torrents. It is said that a giant who was on his way to Son Dameto was distracted looking at the landscape and did not notice where he put his foot. So he stepped on this rock and dug it in with his big toe. Since then, the Sporlerins have called it “sa Potada des Gegant”( the Giant’s Footprint).
From Banyalbufar to Estellencs
Via sa Costa and the old road
Before the current road was opened, the Banyalbufarins who had to go to Estellencs and vice versa, followed the route that we propose here. It is a bridle path that connects both villages very straightforward and fast, without significant slopes and passing through several possessions or estates. Restored a few years ago, this route reconnects the two towns, which share some historical episodes as well as a geography caught between the Mediterranean and the Serra de Tramuntana.
Es Rafal de Planicia, registered back in medieval times, is one of Banyalbufar’s most emblematic possessions. Its lofty location, the great defence tower and also the legend surrounding it, have made it a point of reference in the local culture. The path runs alongside the viewpoint to the houeses , from where we can enjoy the beauty and representativeness of this possession.
The rocky outcrop of sa Senyora
A few metres after entering the Planicia public estate, on a gentle bend in the path, you will find the ” Pedrís” de sa Senyora, a stone seat from where tradition says that the Marquise of Campofranco used to watch the sunsets. It is certainly a natural viewpoint that provides a magnificent panoramic view of the coasts of Banyalbufarines, Estellenquines and even Andritxoles.
The S’Obi fountain is one of the most emblematic fountains of the Planicia estate. The water springs up through a crack in a rocky outcrop and flows into a series of stone sinks. In the past, this space was rented out and it was used as a vegetable garden to make use of the water.
This is a crag located next to the stream, in a cool and shady corner. In the past, the passage was limited by a wild olive tree barrier.
Olivaret de Mar
The junction between the old Estellencs road and the access road to the houses of Planicia that border the Olivaret de Mar, thus named because it was the closest to the sea of the entire estate. Several quite old olive trees can still be seen today.
This is one of the great Estellencs Possessions(estates), and together with Son Fortuny, they formed the Estellencs knighthood in the 13th century. The Serralta family bought it in 1383 and sold it to the Moragues family in the 16th century. From the 19th century onwards, plots of land were divided up, which gave rise to estates such as ses Costes and ses Amitges. Along the road we can enjoy the magnificent architectural ensemble, with the gallery and the machicolation over the foreign gateway standing out.
Formerly known as Son Cabot, in the 19th century it was 91 cuarteradas in size. The group of houses, located very close to the old road, stands out for its rusticity, the cloister and above all the defence tower from the 16th / 17th century.
These public stone sinks are located at the entrance to the village, and are supplied with water from the Forat d’Amunt spring through an uncovered irrigation channel that runs alongside the Major stream. They are rectangular in shape, covered by a beamed porch and with an aiguavés roof ( sloped roof).
Along the Son Bunyola seafront
The Camí de Baix and the Port of Canonge
This route, historically known as the Camí de Baix (lower road) or Camí de Baix de Son Bunyola, is a gentle, easy, cart-width route, highly recommended for family excursions. This route is an extraordinary combination of interesting elements: marshes, pine forests, coastal areas, coves, headlands, ethnological elements,etc. But mostly it allows us to enjoy the estate of Son Bunyola, one of the greatest historical estates of the municipality, which is perfectly visible from the path. Indeed, this route is rich in history and full of landscapes.
This is the turn in the MA-10 road where the car park is located and the beginning of the camí de Baix, which leads to the Port of Canonge. It is named after the anecdote that General Ferran Cotoner y Chacon (1811-1888), owner of Sa Baronia de Banyalbufar, used to climb up from the village to this point to admire the beauty of the surroundings. Banyalbufarins also popularly call this place Sa Barandilla (the railing).
Caseta d’en Pere Antoni (Pere Antoni’s mountain hut)
It was a house where the family that exploited this pine forest used to stay. Still, the remains of terraces can be glimpsed nearby, which leads us to believe that the area was also cultivated at one time. Today, the building is in very poor condition and consists of two parts: one for the residence and the other as a carriage house.
Pi de sa Consulta
This pine tree near a lime kiln, is known by this curious name because this is where the carabinieri from Esporles and Banyalbufar used to meet during guard duty.
Es Corral Fals
This is an immense natural pool crossed by the camí de Baix. The Archduke himself echoed: “past some clayey land, through a pine grove at the foot of some agglomerated rocks, it surrounds the rocky wall of Corral Fals”. This area was used as a necropolis during the Pretalayotic period, as human remains and grave goods from this period were found in the middle of the last century.
The Son Bunyola estate is one of the most emblematic in Banyalbufar. In the 13th century, it was already documented as the farmhouse of La Torre, located in the Bunyola valley. After passing through several hands, in the 16th century it was owned by the Valentí family and later by the Zafortesa family. The property remained in the hands of this lineage until 1931, when it was sold to the Solleric businessman Josep Puig, who significantly modified the houses, giving them their present appearance. Today it is in the process of being converted into a hotel.
Punta de s’Àguila (Eagle Point)
One of the most beautiful features of the Banyal-Bufarina coast is the Punta de s’Àguila. This is a metaphorical name, given by the fact that when viewed from the western side, the silhouette resembles an eagle. According to an anecdote, the Italian ship Lugina-G sank in 1917, and almost the entire crew perished. The few survivors stayed in the houses of Son Bunyola.
Son Bunyola beach
This is a pebble beach formed at the mouth of the Son Bunyola stream. The master’s bedroom of Tomeu, who was the tenant of Son Bunyola for many years, still stands here. On the inner part of the cove there are also the remains of a bathing hut, a construction designed for the owners of the property to change clothes in privacy.
Cala Gata (Gata Cove)
These are the remains of a weaving mill that used to operate here at the beginning of the 20th century. Only a few remains are discernible at ground level, as well as a few side walls.
Port des Canonge
The toponym already appears in the 16th century as the Port of Canonge, and the documents from that time mention that it was a place frequented by pirate landings. Later it was established as a fishing port. In 1944, the first town centre began to be drawn up, based on the detachment from Son Coll. Later, in 1971, the new Son Coll residential area began to be built behind the original nucleus.
From the village to Planícia
Es Rafal and the Font de s'Obi
Planícia is more than just a possession for Banyalbufar. Historically, many Banyalbufarians were able to live and prosper thanks to their day labour, especially during the olive harvest. For this reason, the town’s link with this large estate is profound. This link became even closer in 2009 when it became public. Let us remember the rhyme: “In Putxet I have joy / in Son Serralta its sadness / and in Planícia I have love / that gives me sorrow night and day”.
Sa Costa is the name given to the whole area located between the road, Can Fura, the Bandejats crag and Mont-Reial. The path crosses a group of small properties, some of which are historical, such as Ca Mestre Vic, at the bottom of the path. From here you can also see the houses of Can Pico which, built over the sea, are one of the four estates that currently produce malvasia.
Es Rafal de Planícia
The houses of Rafal de Planícia are some of the most genuine and emblematic of the municipality. These lands formed a single property with Planícia until the Contemporary Era. The owners used to stay in these houses, while the Planícia houses were basically used for farming. In the past, several knightly and noble families have passed through these houses: Joan, Sunyer, Pueyo (Marquises of Campofranco), etc. The houses stand out for the defence tower, the voussoir portal and also the colcador (a sort of step out of a stone to help riders to get on a horse), where a curious anthropomorphic figure is carved. “Sa Por des Rafall” legend tells the story of the apparitions of a soul in pain in these houses which was written in the late 19th century by the Archduke Lluís Salvador.
This is a small plain of olive groves, just below the Vela crag, which, according to ancient documentation, was once a vineyard. From here you can enjoy magnificent views of the coastline, both of Estellencs and Andratx.
The houses in Planícia stand out for their rusticity and also for their length. It is a two-storey building that opens out onto a corridor that also acts as a viewing point. The foreign portal communicates with a small cloister that separates the house and kitchen of the masters (left) and the part of the lords (right). The property belonged to the Marquises of Campofranco until 1938, when the Balle family bought it because of its high profitability in olive growing. From then on, the mill was modernised and reached a very high level of production.
Es Pins Vers
Next to the path of the houses is a pair of gigantic green pines (Pinus pinea). There were four of them when they were listed as singular trees (2004), but between 2007 and 2017 two were lost. They are almost 12 metres high. The initial group had a single, compact crown that reached 27.5 m in diameter.
Es Camp Gran
Es Camp Gran is the largest and most important plot of land in the Planícia estate. In fact, this is the land that gives its name to the estate: a planícia in the middle of the mountain. Once, in addition to dry land trees, wheat, barley, oats and almonds were grown there. At one end of the land there are the Clapers Redons, two well-divided piles of stones. Next to the dry wall that limits the land there is a porch with a cistern, which was used to water the farm labourers and livestock.
This is one of the most unique springs on the estate. It springs from a crevice between the rocks and, through a ditch, the water flows into a stone basin. In the past, it used to fill a washing place located further on and was used to irrigate a little of the vegetable garden. Next to it there is a porch that was restored years ago. The Graner del Delme was also located here, but only a piece of wall remains.
Before reaching the Rafal houses, you reach the pass where S’Era Vella used to be, the old threshing floor of the estate. From here you can enjoy the magnificent group of houses.
Between marshes and woods
From the village to s'Arboçar (via Rafal and Son Sanutges)
Over the village of Banyalbufar spreads a magnificent landscape sheltered by Sa Mola de Planícia and its extensive holm oak groves. This whole area, both beautiful and historically interesting, has various attractive estates, ethnological elements and spots where you can admire the landscape. The route, an easy one with a moderate gradient, provides an insight into an outstanding region. For this reason, we will take historic routes such as the Rafal path, the Camí Antic de Plainícia and the Font de la Vila path.
The houses of Es Rafal, along with Planícia as part of a single property, date back to the Middle Ages and were used by the lords when they stayed in Banyalbufar. For this reason, it had the most sumptuous rooms: a large hall, chapel, the lord’s chamber, the lady’s chamber, etc. They had an olive-oil mill, but most of all it stood out for its wine cellar, as the estate was also used to grow malvasia and muscatel.
Pla des Bandejats
This is a plain between s’Arboçar and es Rafal, lying to the left of the road. At the back is the Puig des Bandejats. Apparently, the toponym comes from a tradition associated with the exiles – fugitives from justice – who hid in this part of the mountain range in the 17th and 18th centuries, something that was common at that time.
Sa Roca Fesa
To the right of the path, there is a large rock with a large crack that crosses it from top to bottom. It is known as “Sa Roca Fesa”, a word now in disuse that means crack.
The estate of S’Arboçar is located at the base of the Puig de Sa Mola (933 m) and still preserves the appearance of the old mountain estate. It was economically important for its oil and coal production. The Marquises of Campofranco bought it in the 18th century and, as a result, it was added to Planícia and Rafal, creating a very extensive estate. It had previously belonged to the Ferrà family and later to the Bauçà family. At the beginning of the 20th century it was bought by Mateu Escarrer Sitjar. The houses include an olive-oil mill.
This estate, now in ruins, dates back to the 17th century, when it was owned by the Sanutges-Bauçà family who gave it its name. In the 17th century, the estate was worth 2,000 Mallorcan pounds. By the end of the 19th century it was owned by Bartomeu Bauçà and had 82 barracks. In addition to coal, the property also had a plaster shop and its remains can be found in front of the houses.
The houses of this estate are located at the junction of the old Planícia road and the Camí des Correo road. From our position, we can see part of the main façade, which has a rustic and austere appearance. The property was in the possession of the Aguiló family in 1851.
Font de la Vila (Fountain of the Village)
It is located next to the Roig stream, 270 metres above sea level. It consists of a gallery with a 25-metre-long dry stone lap. The entrance, which is currently limited, is quadrangular and measures about 55 cm on each side. From here, the water flows down to the pools and the village through a system of ditches, which are now connected by pipes.
The watchtower over the Mediterranean
Torre des Verger and the port of sa Pera de s'Ase
One of the most recurrent images of the Tramuntana mountain range is found in Banyalbufar, featuring the Torre des Verger (“Tower of the Verger”) and its surroundings. Construction expertise and landscape, history and beauty come together to offer one of the most beautiful views of the Mediterranean. Discovering this tower and this spot is best complemented with the descent to one of the three mountain passes in the area: sa Pera de s’Ase. This is a short but very rewarding route, a magnificent half-day proposal to fully enjoy the Banyalbufanires mountains and sea.
Des Verger Tower
The tower of the Verger – known as sa Torreta by the Banyalbufarins – is one of the symbols of the northern mountain range, not only for its spectacular location but also for its austere and balanced beauty. It stands on a rocky outcrop that falls vertiginously over the sea. It was built in the 16th century, the height of maritime danger. From the terrace, towards gregal( northeast), we can make out the tower of Valldemossa and, towards llebeig( southeast), na Pòpia, sa Dragonera, which waits behind cap Fabioler. The first watchmen were armed with weapons for self-defence (arquebuses and knives) and later with small artillery pieces that, rather than wounding the enemy, gave them a timid warning. Archduke Ludwig Salvator, captivated by the beauty of this watchtower, bought it at the end of the 19th century. Today it is an Asset of Cultural Interest and has been restored several times since then.
The name des Verger refers to the entire area from the tower to s’Hort Nou. It refers to a shed of medieval origin, which in the 15th century formed part of the Planicia and es Rafal. The name, as in other parts of the island, is due to the abundant water and vegetation. In modern times, the area began to be established and formed the group of small properties that it is today: Son Valldaura, Can Cotó, Can Manyoles, Ses Figuerasses, Es Verger, etc. Some of these estates conserve very fine marshlands. As far as fountains are concerned, the fountains of des Verger and Ses Figuerasses stand out. The path allows you to enjoy magnificent coastal views, as well as the cliffs that fall from es Rafal de Planicia and the Na Leta cave. It is worth mentioning that a small fragment of the old bridle path still remains, which we can take advantage of.
Punta des Verger nucleus
In the 1960s, a small settlement was established on top of the port of sa Pera de s’Ase. Each of the plots was about 2,000 square metres in size, on which twenty Ibizan-style houses were built, all with sea views.
Sa Pera de s’Ase harbour
Access is via a cobbled bridle path that starts at the end of the village road. Several fishermen’s huts are lined up on both sides. There are some boats beached under reeds, along with the classic white-painted dry docks. This port enjoyed a certain intensity at the beginning of the 20th century. This is where one of the most singular Banyalbufarins in the town’s contemporary history stayed: Mateu Mir Albertí, better known as Mateíto.